Gove’s Garden Goes Green
BELLE GLADE — Gove Elementary School’s Garden Club decided last fall to roll up their sleeves and create a Pizza Garden. It included many of the ingredients you would find in a pizza, such as tomatoes, green peppers, oregano and basil.
We are fortunate to have a devoted, hardworking volunteer, Florencio Zavala, who helped the students bring their ideas into reality by building the pizza-shaped plant beds. The veggies and herbs held up well despite some cold weather, and the students helped harvest the bounty recently.
Since then, sponsor Mrs. Zavala and our volunteer extraordinaire, Florencio Zavala, have guided the club in creating some beautiful and healthy additions to the CATS Courtyard area. In addition to an aloe plant, six different types of herbs were planted in a tiered planter.
We are hoping to offer the herbs to our school staff and, in exchange, gather some healthy recipes. The Garden Club has also helped beautify the courtyard with bright flowers planted in recycled large metal cans that have been painted to reflect our CATS positive behavior message (Caring, Accountable, Trustworthy and Safe). Mrs. Johnnie Mae Collins and her class have also stepped up to care for the courtyard plants throughout the week. Our principal, Kim Thomasson, has given our green projects 100 percent support. She is delighted to see how everyone pitches in to Go Green! A special thanks to Mrs. Gayle Zavala and volunteer Florencio Zavala for doing such a great job!
• March 8: Third grade tutorial
• March 8: Math squad competition
• March 9: Jump Rope for Heart kickoff assembly
• March 12: GDS Spanish Honor Society reads to kindergarten
• March 13: GDS Spanish Honor Society reads to first grade
• March 14: PTO/SAC – 5-6:30 p.m.
• March 14: Return Title I surveys to school
• March 16: Spring class photos
• March 19-23: Spring break
• March 26: Teacher work day/ no school for students
• March 30:Holiday – no school
• Every Thursday: SECME 2:30-4 p.m.; and steel drums 2:30-4 p.m.