There are several forms of Irma recovery assistance available to individuals and businesses in Palm Beach county. Here’s what you need to know:
Individual Assistance funds are available from FEMA. These funds can be used to cover medical, child care, household items, moving, and clean-up expenses. Apply online at https://www.disasterassistance.gov/ or by calling 1-800-621-3362.
Businesses and residents may be eligible for low-interest federal disaster loans from the Small Business Administration. Types of loans include:
• Business Physical Disaster Loans: Any business or organization located in a declared disaster area and that incurred damage during the disaster may apply for a loan to help replace or restore damaged property.
• Economic Injury Disaster Loans: If you are in a declared disaster area and have suffered economic injury regardless of physical damage, you may qualify for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan.
• Home and Person Property Loans: If you are in a declared disaster area and are the victim of a disaster, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the SBA, even if you don’t own a business.
• Military Reservists Economic Injury Loans: If you have an essential employee who is a military reservist called to active duty, SBA provides loans to help eligible small businesses with operating expenses. Apply at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela.
• Disaster Unemployment Assistance is available to individuals whose employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted due to Hurricane Irma. This generally includes any worker who, due to Hurricane Irma, no longer has a job or place of work, cannot reach their place of work, or cannot work due to damage to their workplace. File a claim at https://connect.myflorida.com/Claimant/Core/Login.ASPX.