Belle Glade Sun

Traffic Signal Blackout

If all traffic signal lights are not working because of an electrical power failure, you must stop at the intersection and then proceed when you know other turning and approaching vehicles, bicycles, or pedestrians have stopped.

Florida Statutes, section 316.1235, states: the driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection in which the traffic lights are inoperative shall STOP.

The driver shall STOP:
• At a clearly marked stop line
• Before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection
• At the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic
• On the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection
• After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from another highway

The traffic signal malfunction should be reported as soon as possible to Palm Beach County Traffic Engineering Office, 561/684-4030, Palm Beach County Emergency Operations Center, 561/712-6428 or the nearest law enforcement agency. PBSO, non-emergency number is 561/688-3400.