PBC Emergency Management Monitoring Hurricane Irma
Palm Beach County Emergency Management officials continue to actively monitor Hurricane Irma and its progress toward our area. All residents and visitors should be aware of the potential impacts from this powerful storm. Palm Beach County Emergency Operations will go to a partial activation (Level 2) Thursday at 7 a.m., and to a full activation (Level 1) at 7 a.m. Friday.
Please visit www.pbcgov.com for the latest advisories and to review your checklists and emergency plans. At this time, you and your family should be in the process of completing protective actions and deciding the safest location to be during the storm.
• PBC Public Schools are closed Thursday and Friday.
• Palm Beach County government offices closing at 3 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
General population shelters will open in PBC at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept 8.
The 15 planned shelters are:
• Atlantic High School
• Boca Raton High School
• Boynton Beach High School
• Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Elem. School
• Forest Hill High School
• Independence Middle School
• John I Leonard High School
• Lakeshore Middle School
• Palm Beach Central High School
• Palm Beach Gardens High School
• Park Vista High School
• Pahokee Middle School
• Seminole Ridge High School
• West Boca High School
• Westgate Elementary
If you choose to go to a hurricane shelter, please bring the following:
• 3 day supply of water
• 2 changes of comfortable clothes
• Flashlight with extra batteries
• Cell phone and a battery-operated charger
• Snacks/Special diet foods
• Photocopies of valuable documents
• Games, books and playing cards for entertainment during your stay
• Space is limited, so please pack accordingly
Pet Friendly Shelter
Pet Friendly Shelter will open Friday, 10:00 A.M. at West Boynton Recreation Center, 6000 Northtree Blvd., Lake Worth. The pet friendly shelter is available to Palm Beach County residents residing in a mandatory evacuation zone or in mobile homes. Proof of residency is required. Space is limited and restrictions apply. Each pet must be accompanied by only one owner who will stay at the shelter. Other family members will need to stay at nearby Park Vista High School due to space restrictions. Livestock and reptiles will not be accepted. Pets will be housed in a separate area from people. Pet owners will be given a schedule to attend to their animal’s needs. Please visit www.pbcgov.com/animal to register.
Special Needs Shelter
Special Needs Shelter will open Friday at the South Florida Fairgrounds. If you are registered you should have received notification. People with special medical needs should register for our Special Needs Program by calling 561-712-6400 or visiting our website www.readypbc.org.
What Actions Should You Take at This Time?
• Determine if your home is in a storm surge evacuation zone by going to readyPBC.com. Evacuate if ordered.
• Put up shutters if you have them.
• Have a working NOAA all-hazards weather radio and battery backup to receive important warnings.
• Go through your disaster supply kit and review family and/or business plan. Remember to also have a plan for pets.
• Stock the safe room in the interior of your home or business. This room should be located away from all windows and exterior walls and doors.
• Bring in loose objects from the patio and yard.
• Make sure that all other aspects of your home are as protected as possible.
For continuing information on Hurricane Irma, and for more information on the Palm Beach County Division of Emergency Management and hurricane preparedness, please visit: www.pbcgov.com/dem, follow us on Twitter @PBCDEM and watch PBC-TV Channel 20.