PALM BEACH COUNTY
• Next Friday, Jan. 27, the deadline for students to apply to our more than 310 Choice and Career options. The application is online at http://www.mypbchoiceapp.com/ . Lottery results will be announced in April. More info on the Choice and Career Options programs: http://www.mypbchoiceapp.com/programs
We’ve already gotten a lot of questions about Controlled Open Enrollment. Students will be able to apply for schools outside of their home-school zone beginning in April 3. It is very important that we stress that they will only be allowed to apply for schools in which there is space available to students.
We have complied a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Choice, Controlled Open Enrollment and Reassignment to help address lot of questions about this process. https://www.palmbeachschools.org/districtnews/2017/01/12/questions-about-choice-programs-or-about-controlled-open-enrollment-get-answers-here/
• Next week is Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida. Each day we will be posting a video of Dr. Avossa giving our elementary school students a clue to a secret book. On Friday, Jan. 27, the book will be revealed and video will have Dr. Avossa reading the book to students. The book will also be available in our elementary school media centers for students to check out and read themselves. There will be a Celebrate Literacy Week Book Fair at all local Barnes & Noble locations Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., offering read aloud story time in the Children’s Section and District representatives will be available to meet and ask questions about literacy initiatives. We have an extensive list of Literacy Week activities from schools at every grade level from around the District so if you’re looking for an event to cover, we can certainly help you find one.
Literacy Week is a statewide initiative led by the Florida Department of Education. It is an opportunity for District schools to further promote reading in our schools and aligns with the Strategic Theme outcome to have all students reading on grade level by third grade
• Tuesday and Wednesday (Jan. 24 & 25) is the Historically Black College-University/Hispanic Serving Institutions (HBCU/HSI) recruitment fair at the Palm Beach County Convention Center. College-ready high school seniors from across the District will be bused in from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day to meet with representatives from the colleges. Tuesday evening from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., parents may also attend and meet with college representatives as well as financial aid/FAFSA representatives. This continues to be a successful event each year, and many of the students who attend are offered acceptance letters and scholarship offers on site. Last year more than 1,000 students attended the event and more than 850 students earned immediate college acceptances. $5.1 million in scholarship money was offered to students on site over the two-day event, as well.
• Couldn’t we all use a little more positivity on our lives? Teachers at Royal Palm Beach High School were asked to video tape students that inspire them to come to work each day and teach and record their reactions. The “Positivity Project” helps recognize students who are doing the right thing and making a positive impact on their school and teachers, while also encouraging teachers to stop and think about why they teach and the lives they are impacting. Watch the video on the project here: https://youtu.be/kYNvjNZV6Ac
• The District continues to hire bus drivers, to ensure that we maintain the number of drivers needed to continue the successful year our Transportation Department has had. The Department is now welcoming interested applicants to visit the Central Transportation Depot off of Summit Blvd. in West Palm Beach on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to allow prospective driver who may not have computer access to fill out applications online. Representatives will be on hand those mornings to assist them through the application process. There will also be a Bus Driver Job Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 7, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Interested applicants can apply on site and be given interviews the same day. Candidates are encouraged to fill out the online application in advance of the fair to expedite the process the day of the fair. Applications can be submitted anytime at: https://www.palmbeachschools.org/jobs/
As always, you can follow the District on Facebook/PBCSD and Twitter @PBCSD. Please contact email@example.com or 561-357-1114 to ensure our team sees the requests so we can respond in a most timely manner.