• The Gators defeated Pine School on Jan. 27 to celebrate senior night in a big way, 63-32. The Gators jumped out to a 16-10 lead after the first quarter and led 32-17 at halftime.
Johnson continued his strong play with 20 points. Freshman AJ McPhee had 12 points while junior Jorge Acosta and senior Tai Cypress chipped in with 11 points apiece. Glades Day improved to (6-11) with the victory.
• Glades Day had two local matchups this week as they travelled to Glades Central on Jan. 30 and travel to Clewiston on Feb. 2.
• The Glades Day boys soccer team ended their season on Jan. 23 when they lost in the opening round of the district tournament, 5-3 to Jupiter Christian. The Gators also lost at Clewiston, 6-1 on Jan. 18.
• James Blackman was the lone Glades Central Raider to be named to the All-State Team. Markens Pierre was named All-State from Glades Day.
• The Glades Central boys’ basketball team fell at home to Pahokee on Jan. 28, 59-56 to fall to (4-9) on the season. The Raiders defeated Clewiston on Jan. 27, 73-55.
• The Pahokee Blue Devil boys’ basketball had a nice week with victories over Benjamin and Glades Central last week.
• Pahokee defeated the Buccaneers 67-58 on Jan. 26. Jermaine Roberson had 18 points, 14 rebounds, four steals and five assists. Jacardhi Smith had eight points, Zatavian Morgan had eight points and 19 rebounds, and Kavoski Baldwin had 21 points, four rebounds and four assists. Thometrius Moore provided eight points and seven rebounds. Coach Gertavian Blake said Morgan has provided some huge leadership in the paint for the Blue Devils in recent games. He also praised his guards for ‘outstanding play’. “They both give us defensive energy and we have capitalized on forced turnovers from our opponents. I think this is only the beginning on how great this team can play,” he added. Blake asked his team to have 50 rebounds or more and 10 turnovers or less against Benjamin. They responded with 63 team rebounds and 10 turnovers. The Blue Devils are now (3-1) in district play.
• Saturday, Jan. 28, the Blue Devils won at arch rival Glades Central 59-56. Kennard Smith had 11 points and three steals, Roberson had nine points, Smith eight points and five rebounds, and Morgan six points and three rebounds. Tyron Arnett had nine points and three rebounds and Moore provided five points, five rebounds and three blocks.
Baldwin had 11 points, four rebounds and six steals for Pahokee.
• The Blue Devils appear to be headed for a district showdown with Wildwood, who is (4-0) in District 1A-8 games this year.
• The Lady Blue Devils improved to (4-0) in district play with a 56-38 victory over Glades Central on Jan. 25. They also defeated Park Vista on Jan. 24, 64-59 and Royal Palm Beach 59-39. Pahokee lost at Wellington on Jan. 23, 55-48. Coach Elea Dean said the girls have played well and are ready for the district tournament this week. Pahokee is (17-5).